Portal.search-zone.com is a third-party search engine that is classified as a browser hijacker and potentially unwanted application (PUA). The classification is based on several factors:
- the search site is being promoted via freeware bundles;
- it may settle down on web browsers without explicitly notifying the user;
- it may set itself as a start page, replace search provider, and new tab window without authorization;
- it may display altered search results;
- it may inject ads into search results and display sponsored content;
- users may have problems with the removal.
Although the portal.search-zone.com is not a dangerous search site, it's developers rely on deceptive strategies to make people use it unintentionally. It is often distributed as a preselected optional component of free applications. Consequently, if the user fails to select it, the search injects itself in Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari, or another web browser as an extension and default start page.
The aim of this search - to increase traffic to the websites of the affiliated domains, as well as display pay-per-click ads among search results to increase advertising revenue.
|Classification||Browser hijacker, Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP)|
|Compatibility||It can affect Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera, Safari, Microsoft Edge, and other web browsers|
|Symptoms||This search site is browser-based, i.e. it settles down on web browsers, replaces start page, search engine, new tab windows, and other settings|
|Elimination||This search site can be deleted manually or with the help of professional AV tool|